The Film Essay brief
Just thought it would be good to have a permanent reminder of the Cinémathèque brief:
Make a short film which will be held following four stages:
– 1. The film begins as a pure fiction: presenting a simple scenario or set-up * (maximum of 3 shots).
* Examples of simple scenarios: someone has lost an animal, or is waiting to meet someone they don’t know etc
– 2. Fiction cohabits with reality: interaction between characters and elements of reality (public place, non-professional-actors, animals, weather, etc.).
– 3. Then the fiction stops to make way for the observation of reality, or the interruption of reality (like the rainstorm in the Little Fugitive).
– 4. Brief return to fiction and characters to complete the film.
Maximum duration: 10 ‘